Cancer Comic Strip

My name is Suzan St Maur and I've had cancer twice. I find that humor helps me get through my cancer, and from what I understand it helps many others too. This blog is dedicated not to information about the disease, but to cancer warriors and their relatives/friends who just want some cheering chuckles. By all means share your funny stories and jokes with us - email them to suze @ suzanstmaur.com (If you want to know more about me see my profile on here or http://HowToWriteBetter.net)

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Tomato touts take off

Once again the marketing wallahs have realised that there's money to be made from cancer - or at least the fear of it.

Tesco - the UK's largest supermarket chain - have managed to breed a super tomato that contains twice the lycopene of ordinary tomatoes. Lycopene, as we know, is said to be very useful in the fight against various cancers, particularly of the prostate.

The article on the BBC News website goes on to say ...

'Tesco produce technical manager Ian Reed said the super tomato was the first of a range of "functional foods" being developed by the supermarket.

He said: "The health benefits of anti-oxidants such as lycopene in our diets have recently attracted a lot of positive attention from both the medical and culinary worlds.

"Functional foods such as tomatoes naturally have high levels of lycopene however this naturally-bred variety has even higher levels than standard ones and tastes great as well."'


Not surprisingly in the light of this tomato launch Tesco fail to point out that the best way for us to absorb the lycopene from tomatoes is if they are cooked, along with a little olive oil. (This is not hot air; I was told that by my Urologist.)

Sorry Tesco ... much as fresh, raw toms oozing in extra lycopene may be a great sales gimmick, your customers are probably better off absorbing it from a jar of spaghetti sauce - or even the humble tomato ketchup.

And here's a further commercial thought about tomatoes...

~~~~~~~~~~

A small boy was looking at the red ripe tomatoes growing in the farmer's garden. "I'll give you my two pennies for that tomato," said the boy pointing to a beautiful, large, ripe fruit hanging on the vine.

"No," said the farmer, "I get a dime for a tomato like that one."

The small boy pointed to a smaller green one, "Will you take two pennies for that one?"

"Yes," replied the farmer, "I'll give you that one for two cents."

"OK," said the lad, sealing the deal by putting the coins in the farmer's hand, "I'll pick it up in about a week."


~~~~~~~~~~

All good wishes for Easter and Passover

SUZE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home