Cancer Comic Strip

My name is Suzan St Maur and I've had cancer twice. I find that humor helps me get through my cancer, and from what I understand it helps many others too. This blog is dedicated not to information about the disease, but to cancer warriors and their relatives/friends who just want some cheering chuckles. By all means share your funny stories and jokes with us - email them to suze @ suzanstmaur.com (If you want to know more about me see my profile on here or http://HowToWriteBetter.net)

Friday, March 17, 2006

Prostate cancer and red hot chilli peppers ... and things

..........no, not the rock band (although I love their music) but now - according to this article on the UK's BBC website - enough to make prostate cancer cells commit suicide.

I have to say there have been times when an overdose of chilli has made me think about jumping out of a 5th floor window, but only for the benefit of the cool air on the way down that might put out the fire in my tonsils. However (and I quote) ...

The ingredient which makes jalapeno peppers hot also makes prostate cancer cells commit suicide, a study suggests. Tests showed that capsaicin triggered 80% of the cells to start the process leading to cell death. The US research in the journal Cancer Research also found tumours treated with capsaicin were smaller. UK prostate experts say capsaicin could be the basis of a future drug but warned eating too many hot peppers has been linked to stomach cancer.

.........I'm not surprised at that. As you might surmise from my comment above, on the rare occasions when I do eat chilli my stomach feels like it has been infiltrated by thousands of ants looking to build a new nest. Ah well, it's a decision the guys need to ponder. You can always use your frequent chilli consumption as an excuse to down a few more cold beers.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about getting more exercise. Despite feeling a bit tired from the chemo I've been advised not to lie down for a snooze, but to go and do something a bit lively to get all the systems going again. So here is an exercise program I plan to follow, as sent to me by my childhood friend Janet from Prince Edward County, ON.

I came across this exercise to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on.

The article suggested doing it three days a week. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks. Then 50-lb. potato sacks, and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

Once you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.


Have a great weekend!

SUZE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home