Cancer Comic Strip

My name is Suzan St Maur and I've had cancer twice. I find that humor helps me get through my cancer, and from what I understand it helps many others too. This blog is dedicated not to information about the disease, but to cancer warriors and their relatives/friends who just want some cheering chuckles. By all means share your funny stories and jokes with us - email them to suze @ suzanstmaur.com (If you want to know more about me see my profile on here or http://HowToWriteBetter.net)

Monday, November 07, 2005

Food, food, glorious food...

Far from creating streams of projectile vomit after my first session of chemo four days ago, since then I have done nothing but eat. The steroids I was given may have been a "low dose" but within hours of getting home my head was in the refrigerator and has pretty much remained there for the duration.

Shame I couldn't have combined that with skull cooling, which in the end I declined. Having squashed three oncology nurses in a corner and demanded a straight answer about "cool caps," their subsequent squirming and winking at each other told me all I needed to know. Freezing cold, blinding headache, extra time at the hospital, all to give my hair another couple of weeks on my head? Uh-uh.

And would you believe it, the refrigerator calls and I'm hungry again? Here's a short anecdote that should help to cut everyone's appetite (see below.) Until next time, yours ravenously .... Sz.

~~~~~~~~~~

At a lunch party one day a surgeon friend was watching his host carve the cold cuts. As he worked, the host kept making comments, asking “well, what do you think of that? How am I doing? How’s that for surgical technique? Would you say I’ve got what it takes to be a surgeon?”

When the host had finished and the thin, perfect slices of cold turkey, ham and beef were set out on platters, the surgeon finally spoke up. “I can see you’ve got what it takes to slice them up, George. But how good would you be at sewing them back together?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home