Cancer Comic Strip

My name is Suzan St Maur and I've had cancer twice. I find that humor helps me get through my cancer, and from what I understand it helps many others too. This blog is dedicated not to information about the disease, but to cancer warriors and their relatives/friends who just want some cheering chuckles. By all means share your funny stories and jokes with us - email them to suze @ suzanstmaur.com (If you want to know more about me see my profile on here or http://HowToWriteBetter.net)

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Chemohair...such an issue!

Hi everyone and welcome back to CCS after the Holidays. A happy, healthy 2006 to you all.

At my last (4th) epirubicin session on January 5th we had a particularly hairy afternoon, one way or another. Bradley the gorgeous Golden Retriever guide dog spent some considerable time with his head on my lap, hence depositing hair on my knees etc (no problem though, am used to it!) and several of us were comparing bald heads as well as early regrowth of hair among breast cancer girls in the second half of their chemo - on CMF.

To my astonishment I was the only girl (well, old trout, actually) in there who was wearing a wig. Everyone else is into hats, scarves and turbans. Why not me? My scalp itches like crazy and I know scarves and turbans are much more comfortable. Is my wig thing just vanity then? Or could it possibly have something to do with the fact that in a hat I look like Humpty Dumpty with a cowpat on his head?

Hmmmm ... anyway, here are some links to further thoughts on this wig issue from other cancer warriors. Have a look at those and then please come back here with your own thoughts - I would be fascinated to know which wins in the head covering stakes ... hats/scarves/turbans or wigs??

http://www.lymphomainfo.net/surviving/wigs.html

http://www.cancer.med.umich.edu/share/humwig.htm

http://www.cancer.med.umich.edu/share/humwig.htm

http://citypaper.net/articles/2005-01-27/naked.shtml

Love to all

Sz..........

2 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Being new to baldness, I have been experimenting with wigs, hats, scarfs and the like. So far I prefer wigs, BUT it's still cold outside. AND by 4:30 p.m. I am ready to shed my wig for a more comfortable headcover. So can I vote for both? Today I wore a hat that sits near my phone while I am in my office. Footsteps make me quit what I am doing to put my hat back on.

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Suzan St Maur said...

    Yes, wigs are so itchy, aren't they! Soft "beanie" hats are the most comfortable, if not the most glamorous.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home