Cancer Comic Strip

My name is Suzan St Maur and I've had cancer twice. I find that humor helps me get through my cancer, and from what I understand it helps many others too. This blog is dedicated not to information about the disease, but to cancer warriors and their relatives/friends who just want some cheering chuckles. By all means share your funny stories and jokes with us - email them to suze @ suzanstmaur.com (If you want to know more about me see my profile on here or http://HowToWriteBetter.net)

Friday, September 29, 2006

We must stop meeting like this

Yesterday was check-up day at my local oncology unit and as I was waiting to see the doc, whose cool nose should I find pushing itself under my arm but the lovely guide dog Bradley's (see previous post.) By sheer coincidence Margaret, his owner, was in for a check-up too. It was great to catch up with her news and cuddle Bradley, and by the time my turn came to see the doctor I was covered in dog hairs. So what else is new!

As I was browsing the UK's BBC news website today I came across a wonderful story about a lady who has been battling breast cancer for nearly 20 years and still has managed to give birth to a beautiful baby daughter. Click here to read the full story.

Another brave breast cancer warrior is Ottawa-based Sylvie Fortin. Have a look at her blog, Breast Cancer Victory - click here.

And to round off today's post, some cute one-liners attributed to performers at the recent Edinburgh Festival in Scotland - courtesy of Joe Hoare...

~~~~~~~~~~

I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation.

The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears.

My dad is Irish and my mum is Iranian, which meant that we spent most of our family holidays in Customs.

You have to remember all the trivia that your girlfriend tells you, because eventually you get tested. She'll go: "What's my favourite flower?" And you murmur to yourself: "Hell, I wasn't listening. Self-raising?"

I saw that show, 50 Things To Do Before You Die. I would have thought the obvious one was "Shout For Help".

'Employee of the month' is a good example of how somebody can be both a winner and a loser at the same time.

I like to go into the Body Shop and shout out really loud "I've already got one!"

I enjoy using the technique of self-deprecation - but I'm not very good at it.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.


~~~~~~~~~~

My check-up went OK and the mammogram was clear. But we're still waiting for Herceptin. I'm due back there in November and fingers crossed, our noble Health Service should have run out of excuses to delay treatment by then.

See you soon! Sz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home