Cancer Comic Strip

My name is Suzan St Maur and I've had cancer twice. I find that humor helps me get through my cancer, and from what I understand it helps many others too. This blog is dedicated not to information about the disease, but to cancer warriors and their relatives/friends who just want some cheering chuckles. By all means share your funny stories and jokes with us - email them to suze @ suzanstmaur.com (If you want to know more about me see my profile on here or http://HowToWriteBetter.net)

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year ... and get cleaning that house, girls

Heartfelt New Year greetings - I hope 2007 is a healthy, peaceful year for us all.

And guess what the latest news is on how to help keep breast cancer at bay? According to an article on the BBC news website, it's housework.

"Women who exercise by doing the housework can reduce their risk of breast cancer, a study suggests. The research on more than 200,000 women from nine European countries found doing household chores was far more cancer protective than playing sport."

Really? It goes on...

"Out of all of the activities, only housework significantly reduced the risk of both pre- and post-menopausal women getting the disease. Housework cut breast cancer risk by 30% among the pre-menopausal women and 20% among the post-menopausal women."

Come on, folks. Let's get real here.

"Dr Lesley Walker of Cancer Research UK said: "We already know that women who keep a healthy weight are less likely to develop breast cancer. This study suggests that being physically active may also help reduce the risk and that something as simple and cheap as doing the housework can help."

Aha, now we're getting down to it. Something AS simple and cheap as doing the housework ... but perhaps something less drudge-like would have the same effect? OK, playing sport is off the menu, but how about touring around a shopping mall? Sight-seeing at a country mansion with formal gardens? Taking your dog for a walk?

The article concludes ...

"He recommend (sic) that men and women take regular exercise and maintain a healthy body weight to help prevent cancer."

I'm sure the fact that Dr Walker is a man has, of course, nothing whatsoever to do with his suggestion that women should focus on housework...


Oil on troubled waters?

On a more inspiring note another BBC news website article tells us that olive oil can help prevent various cancers.

"A study of 182 European men found those who had 25 millilitres of olive oil per day had reduced levels of a substance which indicates cell damage. The Danish team said it may explain why many cancer rates are higher in northern Europe than the south, where olive oil is a major part of the diet."

Wonderful! Don't I just wish I was in the olive oil business right now! Well, at least I won't feel guilty any more about sloshing the olive oil on my salads and using it for frying. And with our UK climate getting warmer, olive crops could do well ... think I'll go see how much space I've got for olive trees in the back yard.

Yours on the way to the garden shed,

SUZE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home